A gunman opened fire Monday evening at the San Diego Islamic Center, confirmed by local police. Three people have already died and several were injured.
The San Diego Police Department announced that it had “neutralized” a “threat” after a gunman intruded on Monday into a mosque in this southern California city. It had previously announced that law enforcement forces had been deployed in large numbers around an Islamic center because of the shooting.
Dozens of police cars were present and several dozen heavily armed officers began to encircle the area, according to footage from local media.
The mayor of the city, Todd Gloria, confirmed the shootings inside the institution. He said he was closely monitoring the situation. “I am aware of the shooting at the San Diego Islamic Center in Clairemont, and I continue to receive information from law enforcement,” he said on X, adding that first responders “are actively working to protect the population and secure the area.”